New Edinburgh is a small community with three main community groups: NECA, CCC and NECTAR. They have quite unique missions, and there are historical reasons for their separate existence.
NECA is the umbrella organization for all residents and community organizations in our neighbourhood. Every resident of New Edinburgh is automatically a member of NECA.
Residents are welcome to attend NECA’s monthly board meetings, which take place at 7:30 p.m. at the Fieldhouse (203 Stanley Ave.), every third Tuesday of the month (no meetings in July, August or December). Anyone wishing to make a presentation to the board should contact the president, Cindy Parkanyi (firstname.lastname@example.org), in advance to arrange scheduling.
The New Edinburgh Community Alliance’s (NECA) mandate as it appears in the incorporation document of July 1989 includes:
- Developing and fostering a sense of community among the residents of New Edinburgh;
- Researching, developing positions and making representations to various levels of government on matters affecting the community and its residents; and
- Co-ordinating activities of the corporation with those of organizations, associations and individuals with similar interests or activities whether in the community or outside it.
What does NECA do?
- NECA publishes and distributes the New Edinburgh News, and manages this website;
- NECA gets involved in specific issues such as participating in Beechwood development planning, working to avoid or mitigate impacts of major infrastructure projects such as the CSST Project, and pursuing strategic initiatives such as the Community Vision for New Edinburgh Park.
- NECA’s Heritage and Development Committee works to ensure that new development does not overwhelm our community, and that new homes are welcome additions that fit into the fabric of the community;
- NECA works with the City on Traffic and Safety issues.
NECA has become one of the most respected community organizations in the city because of its ability to mobilize local support to respond to issues affecting the community.
We need you!
However, few of our achievements have come easily, and all have taken time and effort from a number of people. At this time NECA needs more people. You can help either by participating in NECA’s activities, or by helping us recruit new membership for NECA, its committees and its Board of Directors. Think about whether you can spare some time to help to maintain the quality of life in New Edinburgh, and contact someone on the Board if you would like to get involved.
Follow NECA on Twitter @New_Edinburgh and sign up for regular email updates.